Meet Monika Perry, a Junior at the University of South Carolina and a member of our Beta Epsilon chapter. Monika lived in New York City this past summer interning for BPCM, a Fashion Public Relations Agency, and she gives us all the details!
Tell us about you!
I’m a rising junior from Columbia, South Carolina, which is not far from USC’s campus. I’m majoring in Retail with an emphasis on Fashion Merchandising, and my minors are in AD, PR, and Journalism. I’m a member of Fashion Board (appointed model coordinator), Cocky Couture, and worked previously as an Express Brand Ambassador!
What did you do?
I worked at a Fashion Public Relations Agency, BPCM, in Chelsea where I was assigned different luxury fashion accounts to help manage. Essentially, it was our job to help make the brands we were working with leaders. I was a member of the women’s fashion team at BPCM and some of my tasks included:
- Showroom maintenance
- ensuring the displays were always to the designer’s liking
- showroom pulls – when stylists wanted to come in and pull the latest for their clients to wear
- Helped planned Press Days for our clients to showcase their new collections
- Editors, stylists, and magazine directors attend these Press Days to get a better idea of what they want to feature in their upcoming magazine editions or what they want their celebrity clients wearing on the next red carpet
- Sample trafficking
- Sent samples to photo shoots, celebrity dressings, and I oversaw where the samples were, as well as how they were getting there and how we were getting them back
- Press Reports
- Assist in the planning and execution of events for luxury brands throughout Manhattan
- Media Placements
- Worked backstage at fashion shows
- Seek out new clients
What has been your favorite part(s)?
Some of my favorite parts of this internship have been landing placements in well-known publications, my final intern project presentation, and working with well known and exciting brands like Valentino, Alexandre Vauthier, and Longchamp. I’ve loved having the opportunity to volunteer for a variety of work events, whether they directly involved the brand I was assigned or not, and living in New York City for the past two summers has been incredible!
What have you learned/how has this prepared you for what you want to do in the future?
This internship has taught me the ropes of fashion PR, helped me make valuable connections in the fashion industry, and forced me out of my comfort zone!
Know of a chapter sister that has done something incredible? Want to show her off? Email Hannah Peterson at firstname.lastname@example.org to nominate a sister (or yourself!) to be featured!