By: The Foundation Philanthropy Directors
On Saturday, October 26th, millions of volunteers from around the world will unite in a common mission to improve the lives of others on Make a Difference Day. Over its 20 year history, Make a Difference Day has become the largest national day of community service—celebrating neighbors helping neighbors and recognizing the value and spirit of volunteerism.
The stories of Make a Difference Day show that anyone—regardless of age, location or resources—can accomplish amazing things when they take on the problems they see in their community.
Helping others who are struggling isn’t just the right thing to do, but it truly defines the essence of our Alpha Delta Pi values as outlined in our Creed. Our motto, “We Live for Each Other”, expresses the true spirit of fraternity and by living this motto our lives will be enriched by true friendships and unselfish service to mankind.
National Make a Difference Day provides Alpha Delta Pi with an opportunity to shine by coordinating a service event or project. Get together with sisters from your, chapter, alumnae association or just fellow ADPi friends and plan a service event.
- Prepare a dinner or host a craft night at your local Ronald McDonald House
- Visit your local RMH with books or toys for the children or provided Grocery items. Check your local RMH’s website to see their needed items or here’s a general list. Don’t forget your pop tabs!
- Make Halloween treat bags with your sisters and drop them off at your local RMH
- Host a bake sale on campus and donate the proceeds to RMHC
All you need to do is call the organization and ask, “How can I help?” If your local RMH is inundated with volunteers for Make a Difference Day, consider these service options with sisters.
- Volunteer time at a local food bank or collect cans to donate
- Visit an animal shelter to volunteer or drop off supplies
- Pick up trash at a nearby park
- Visit a nursing home with cards and Halloween goodies for the residents
In addition to volunteering as a group, the power of individual volunteerism rings true through the message of Make a Difference Day and we feel empowered by our own ability to effect change. We don’t only need to respond as a large effort. Each of us can contribute our time individually to make a difference.
This is the spirit of Make a Difference Day—the message that no matter how busy you are, you can find a way to give back.
Your District Foundation Philanthropy Directors are here to help. As a national team of philanthropy gurus, we provide a network of resources for chapters and alumnae associations when it comes to volunteer efforts. Whether it is planning an event for Make a Difference Day, developing your Chapter’s Lions Share Challenge, or creating service opportunities for individuals or groups—we are here to help!
Are you volunteering for Make a Difference Day with your chapter, alumnae association or with sisters? Let us know in the comments below! Join the conversation on social media by using the hashtag #MDD13 and #ADPiMDD13 if you’re Making a Difference with sisters!