By: Jackie Mills, Phi-Hanover College, Recruitment Director, District IV
Your flights are booked. Your luggage is packed (okay, okay—pulled out of the closet.) You are ready to rock all your clothes that are blue and white, along with your diamond and lion accessories.
With the important stuff out of the way, what should you expect at Grand Convention 2013? If this is your first Convention, you’re going to have the best time ever!!!
What To Expect
- Tons Of Fun! You knew that one was coming! Seriously, though, Convention is all about celebrating our sisterhood—where we’ve been and where we are going. It’s impossible not to have a blast!! Trust me, there are awesome surprises coming your way!!!
- Meeting New People! Convention is like mega-District Leadership Conference. You’ll meet sisters from across the country, both collegians and alumnae. Don’t be afraid to talk to someone new—you just might meet your new best friend. Plus, you’ll get to meet Grand Council. How cool is that?
- Photo Opportunities! Whether you have Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google+, Tumblr, etc., you’ll have loads of opportunities to take sensational snapshots. Get those poses down now—and don’t forget to tag ADPi and use the #ADPiDallas hashtag.
- Delicious Desserts! Now, I know everyone has different tastes when it comes to appetizers and entrees at major events like this. However, I can guarantee the desserts will be phenomenal. (If not, we’ll go to the hotel froyo place to make up for it.
- Massive ADPi Pride! Of course, everyone represents ADPi throughout the year, but Convention is the chance for your ADPi love to shine! (The other hotel guests are super lucky to see us in action.) Don’t be afraid to go all out! Think lots of chanting, singing, and general Pi-Tastic festivities!
What Not To Expect
- Not Knowing Everything. Though ADPis are first and finest, we can’t know everything. Convention is full of traditions that honor our history and sometimes complex information on bylaws and policies. It’s totally okay if you are lost about something—don’t hesitate to ask about what is happening.
- Boredom. Between business meetings and meals and sessions, so much is happening for you to be part of, you won’t ever be bored. Don’t panic–there is plenty of time to chill by the pool and sightsee in Dallas. Trust me, having free time is key in the Big D!
- Eight Hours Of Sleep. If you can swing this, we need to talk so I can learn your strategy. Since Convention happens once every two years, you’ll find yourself staying up late talking to new and old friends or simply soaking up the atmosphere. So worth it—plus, there’s a Starbucks only a few blocks down for your caffeine fix.
- Lots Of Electrical Outlets. Most people are addicted to their smartphones (myself included). Plus, social media is going to be a huge part of Grand Convention too! Therefore, we all need outlets. Since there so many people in the hotel, chances of having a regular electricity source are slim. Never fear, just plan your day accordingly—and charge up when you can.
That about sums it up! Whether this is your first or fiftieth Convention, it’s going to be amazing! I can’t wait to see you there! Feel free to connect with me beforehand at @JackieSueMills on Twitter.